STROBING : THE ESSENTIALS

I first heard of 'strobing' shortly after being introduced to 'contouring'; both of which I thought were either contemporary 'Gangham Style' dance routines or names for new avant-garde diets. I have tried contouring to no such avail, rarely finding the time to adopt such a laborious technique into my daily routine. Therefore, I approached strobing being somewhat a skeptic but I have found this approach a lot more realistic to incorporate into my daily routine. 

Someone that I work with who (luckily) is a professional make-up artist, showed me the technique. Strobing involves using a highlighter to emphasise parts of the face that light naturally hits. Below is a face-chart that I have designed that shows these areas that need highlighting to achieve the 'strobed' look. I have numbered this chart in the following way (inclusive of my top tips...)





1. Forehead - try not to highlight all the way up to the hairline as this will make your forehead look bigger than it is and a bit sweaty.
2. Nose .
3. Cheekbones - this can be brought up to your temples.
4. Above eyebrows.
5. Brow bone.
6. Cupid's bow.
7. Chin - try not to go too far under your lip.
8. Inside corner of eye (that sounds painful - note - please don't strobe your eyeball).


I have used this highlighter from The Body Shop (£12).
with a foundation brush from The Body Shop (£12) to strobe.




The Radiant highlighter works really well and I would say it's almost the same colour and consistency as the Benefit high beam highlighter, it's just The Body Shop's highlighter is a lot cheaper. I would love to hear from anyone who is a like-minded strober - what products do you use?

Why not give this technique a go. I would love to see photos on Instagram #tungliostrobing

 Happy strobing!


9 comments:

  1. Sounds very interesting. I barely contour, just a tiny bit along my cheekbones, but I do like my highlighter. This could be something for me to try, thank you for such a comprehensive chart :)

    http://allure-square.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked my post; now I work with a professional make-up artist (saying this out loud sounds like I am bragging - honestly, I'm not...) I am thinking about doing a few more face charts on different techniques, so if you have any requests let me know =)

      Delete
  2. I usually skip highlighter, especially in the summer. In my heart I will always be a matte skinned eighties girt, I guess.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like to be matte but still want to highlight, you should have a look at Benefit shy beam matte highlighter (which you can buy as part of the Benefit Operation Pore Proof Gift Set on the John Lewis website for £28). I have not used it myself but it looks nice from some reviews I have seen.
      =)

      Delete
  3. great post, thanks for the tip!

    check out my blog + follow back?

    xo,
    Jess | wildvagabondss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post, thanks for the tip!

    check out my blog + follow back?

    xo,
    Jess | wildvagabondss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this before, will have to try it out! I agree that contouring isn't an easy thing to do every single day! xx

    http://the-twins-wardrobe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this highlighting guide! I don't like to contour much at this age but i love using highlighters!
    Aleeha xXx
    www.halesaaw.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not super informed on strobing but it looks like another way to give the face some dimension. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete